In this research group, we study the behavioural ecology and evolutionary biology of animal populations, often within the context of environmental and habitat change. We work across multiple landscapes in India, including the Trans-Himalayas, Western Ghats and Eastern Ghats.
Assistant Professor, Biology
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India 517507
- October 2020: Nandini presents our crowdsourced palm squirrel work at "Cataloguing and mapping life of India: Biodiversity informatics in India", a webinar that is part of the series Biodiversity Conversations: India’s opportunities and challenges. More here.
- October 2020: Pooja Gupta begins her art-science research scholarship with Creature Conserve in collaboration with the Sciurid Lab.
- October 2020: Nandini begins term as the Secretary of the Ethological Society of India.
- September 2020: CitSci India 2020 virtual conference, where the lab presents two posters - one on Squirrels (Bishwarup, Senan, Swati, Aravind) and one on Moths (Harsha, Suyash, Senan, Viral). Nandini is on the Steering Committee of the event and co-author on a poster with researchers from SACON.
- August 2020: Nandini joins the Editorial Board of Cheetal journal, Wildlife Preservation Society of India, DehraDun.
- July 2020: Nandini joins the Editorial Board of the journal Nature Communications Biology.
- May 2020: Logging poses a threat to the arboreal Travancore flying squirrel, by Viswajit Sriramrajan https://india.mongabay.com/2020/05/logging-poses-a-threat-to-the-arboreal-travancore-flying-squirrel/
- May 2020: Vanishing wizards of the night, by Janaki Lenin https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy-and-environment/vanishing-wizards-of-the-night/article31533946.ece
- April 2020: Burrow Down, Sleep Tight: The Fascinating Life of the Himalayan Marmot, by RG Sustain Staff https://round.glass/sustain/photo-story/himalayan-marmot-ladakh/
- March 2020: A Day of Life - the first annual Biology Day at IISER Tirupati. Talk by Nandini about how the lab studies adaptations at various scales. Two posters from the Sciurid Lab-one featuring work in the Trans-Himalayas (Senan and Harsha) and another on selection for signals in tree squirrels (Nivetha, Shijisha, Amira, Suyash).
- February 2020: Science Day at IISER Tirupati. The lab turns out in full force, with a high-altitude photo booth and a squirrel camouflage game on three ipads.
- February 2020: The Sciurid Lab gets artwork and t-shirts!
- December 2019: A reconnaissance field trip/ joint lab retreat - Sciurid and Bird labs at Pulicat.
- December 2019: Talk at SV University (Nandini)
- December 2019: Two talks (Harsha, Nandini) and a poster (Nivetha) at the National Symposium on Avian Biology, organised at IISER Tirupati.
- December 2019: Bioblitz at the Tirupati Bird Festival. Talk by Nandini, massive participation by the lab (nature walks, workshops, etc).
- November 2019: The first Tirupati Urban Diversity Blitz, organised by the Eco-Evo labs at IISER Tirupati!
- November 2019: The Tirupati Biodiversity website goes live.
- November 2019: Invited Talk at “Topics in Biology 2019: Evolution and Ecology” at IMSC Chennai (Nandini).
- June 2019: Evolution 2019 meeting (ASN/SSB/SSE) at Providence, RI, USA. Talk (NR) and poster (Harsha).
- March 2019: Invited Seminar at IIT Tirupati (Nandini).
- March 2019: Talk at SACON (Nandini)
- December 2018: Poster presentations (Aravind, Dhanesh, Senan, Swati) at the 42nd Annual Conference of the Ethological Society of India, and a poster award (Dhanesh and Aravind).
- September 2018: The first Sciurid Lab retreat; at Periyar & Kodaikanal.
- March 2018: Poster presentation by NR at YIM 2018, Thiruvananthapuram.
- February 2018: Talk by NR at the Humboldt Kolleg on ‘Climate Change and Energy Options’ at Aurangabad.
- January 2018: Poster presentations at YETI 2018 (Harsha, Nivetha, Senan, Swati, Shijisha).
- September 2017: Talk by NR at National Seminar on Himalayan Biodiversity, University of Kashmir, Srinagar.
- September 2017: Poster presentations (Mihir, Nandini) at the International Biogeography Society meeting, Bangalore.
- September 2017: The lab attends the Student Conference on Conservation Science (SCCS), Bangalore.
- April 2016: The Sciurid Lab is set up at IISER Tirupati.